Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Everything Else

So, my story. I am dropping out of college for the second time, both times after the first semester. I am thinking I need to at least take a while and decide if I actually want to go to college. I wont go into why the first place I went was horrible, but it was, don't go to saint rose. I am currently at the school of visual arts in New York City. I love the school, great classes and great teachers, but New York City is eating me alive. The place just takes everything beautiful, hopeful, idealistic, and joyful out of a soul and promptly dumps it all into the east river where it floats away to less poluted shores. I am very motivated to become an artist, I don't need the motivation of grades and assignments to do my artwork, I am ready to just do it. All the time.

My friend paul and I are going to be moving in together, probably into some dumpy place in Saratoga. Our home town. We are going to get basic jobs and do our artwork and make our music, which I have some recordings of, and continue to progress in parkour. I will try and mabye get my artwork shown in different places around here, I have very low hopes and am not expecting to really get in anywhere, but I really do want to try, and start to understand how it works.

Paul and I will keep each other from getting lazy and from just bumming around. We want to keep learning we are very curious about many things. We are not going to have a television instead stacks of books and drawings. We will not have a fancy sound system and a pool table, but our guitars and voices. We will surround ourselves by only the things we are passionate about and nothing to just kill time. We will either be reading about epic journeys in far off lands or the latest on quantum mechanics, or creating artwork, making music, or training for parkour, and definitely our fair share of goofing around.

My mind is open to anything and this is by no means a permanent thing. If it doesn't work out and Paul and I just run out of money and cant feed ourselves, we will come up with a new plan. There is no reason to follow a path you know you will not enjoy in this life, no reason at all. The New York art scene is not for me, I am a quite, shy, laid back person and I feel terrible, almost physically sick in New York City. The rush and haste and stress in the air is heavy and weighs me down every time i go back, I dont care how important it is to be there as an artist, it is not worth my happiness and well being, I will find my way. I may eventually go back to school, but I need this time to really understand why or to go back with the knowledge that I tried the alternative.

So, I will be posting here, letting whoever cares to read it, know about how I am doing, or what I am doing. mabye some other people are contemplating dropping out of school and pursuing their passion, no matter what it is, and hopefully this might help that person.

thanks for reading.

-Taylor

P.S. Recordings

DivShare File - 2005 song.aif

DivShare File - gardenhead2.aif

No comments: